Jazz Connections


After studying at the prestigious Berklee College of Music in Boston, Yuichiro Tokuda returned to Japan and formed his band "Yuichiro Tokuda RALYZZDIG",and released his first album which was acclaimed as"the cutting edge of the present progressive form of jazz" in Jazz Life magazine.In 2008, He received an award as the "New Face of the Year in Art & Culture"from the Chiba-City Government, the first time ever for a jazz artist. Every year he performs at Japan's most prestigious Jazz Festival "Yokohama Jazz Promenade"and also performs at many festivals in all over the world. His original songs received"Finalist"&"Honorable Mention Award” in International Songwriting Competition 2010, 2012 & 2013 Jazz Category."RALYZZDIG" is mixed original word of "RAY, LYRIC, JAZZ and DIG”It means "to dig into Jazz that sends out hot ray and touches the heart with lyrics". Recently, they performed at the The Jazz Fest, Kolkata.

What prompted you to become a musician, more specifically a saxophonist?

Now I'm playing as a jazz saxophonist . Prior to that I was playing more original music. Few years later after graduating from Berklee college of music, I got an  offer from Borneo Jazz Festival in Malaysia in 2011. They liked my original music and invited me. It was a successful tour.Then I got possibility with my original music and saxophone. So I decided to promote myself with  my music.

How and when did you discover Jazz?

From my father and uncle. My Father is just listener but Jazz lover. My uncle was amateur saxophonist. I discovered Jazz and Saxophone music from them when I was 15 years old.


Describe your composition process. From where do your initial ideas come?

From my experience , travel and encounters in my life.

How important is musical innovation to you?

That is the reason I'm living.Musical innovation of my music makes  a connection with the people and world.

Which collaboration have been the most important experiences for you?

The ones I did in India. I have collaborated with Louiz Banks, Gino Banks, Dhruv Ghaneker, F.A. Talafaral, Sheldon D'silva, Aman MahaJan.

You have been awarded the “New Face of the Year in Art & Culture” from the Chiba-City Government, the first time ever for a jazz artist. Your thoughts?

I was in my 20's and just returned from the US. This award was the first one which I had received . I got many chances after I received this award. This award is special to me.

What hopes and aspirations do you have for your music and band Yuichiro Tokuda RALYZZDIG?

I don't know about future. Just I follow to my music makes. So I don't have any hope and aspiration.Will happen something interesting I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com