"It will be fascinating to observe the new combinations of ancient methods with the digital methods"



Hertha Miessner focuses in her works the different layers of transparency and the simultaneous use of form to look at the inside and outside. She is developing in both of a painting and computer aided process a transformation in her work. Her art pieces name the contrast between reality and virtuality in her very own way.

“Cardinal red, draperies of shiny velvet and creased silk, changeovers from light to shadow – Hertha Miessner creates pieces of work which resemble paintings from the old masters, f.e. Remprandt, Caravaggio. But the baroque opulence is only a photographic product, a perfect virtual illusion. The starting point for Hertha Miessner’s digital artwork is - almost deeply symbolic – waste products of painting: randomly painted tapes which are normally used to cover parts of the painting. Scanned and digitally arranged tapes disclose a preciousness which renders the images a character of valuable, historic paintings with their illusionistic effect. They simulate an enigmatic surface which is hiding something unexpected. " In this way, the deceptive aesthetics of the digital world is the subject of Hertha Miessner’s artwork. What remains from the painting process as a by- product turns to a basic product of a new working process which remains true to painting. Quality of colour, materiality or motives’ suggestions are digitally arranged, emphasised and systematically accented. Hertha was one of the artists who participated in the  The Indo-German Art Forum 2017 which was held at the Arts Acre.


How did you begin working in art and new media?

In my "first life" I studied to be teacher, was occupied to have children and less time to work in art medium. Then grow up the chance to study drawing, painting, lithography at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich, Germany from 1990 - 1996 . I finished as master scholar with the diploma. Since then I work as professional, freelance artist. At that time I began to include digital methods and video into special art projects I need for installations. Successively I developed different methods to find a new expression in my paining works - computer generated - learning by doing.

If you had to sum up your mission as an artist, or the primary takeaway you’d hope to convey to an audience, what would they be?

Mainly I make my art for myself, to find a language to express me, my feelings, ideas and thoughts. I cannot expect that all people understand me, but I am happy when my works evoke interest in some spectators. I guess these spectators have a feeling for to look into things / pictures / structures deeper, are fascinated of light, shadows, transparency, form and color dialogues and especially like to be irritated and curious.

Would you say that contemporary art has undergone a complete overhaul with the arrival of a new technological age? 

For my opinion our age with the new possibilities in New Media represent a bigger step then the invention of photography in the last decades. But it will be an extension- for sure extreme- to the mediums used until now.

Are art galleries the best place for presenting new media works? What would be the ideal space for presenting new media?

This is one of the advantages of new media that now art can be easily transferred into open spaces, streets, walls outside etc. So art will be recognized from much more people than before.

What do you see as the future of new media art? Where is it headed?

It will be fascinating to observe the new combinations of ancient methods, like painting, drawing, constructing, with the digital methods in all areas. I see it as an enrichment of variety and possibilities which were not possible before. At the other side the speed of digital development is sometimes overwhelming and makes anxious. But I trust, especially into artist`s power and individuality to resist an overwhelming system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com